The Water Institute of the Gulf is seeking applicants for the newly created position of Data Manager. The Data Manager will support all aspects of the Institute’s research program and will work directly with scientists and engineers to ensure development and application of effective approaches to data management. During the course of their research, Institute personnel collect, generate and utilize a variety of data types including field sensor data, point data, experimental data, GIS databases, model input and output files, and scientific documents and reports. In addition, the Institute has been named the RESTORE Act Center of Excellence for Louisiana and will be administering a multi-year competitive grants program to provide research that supports the implementation of the Louisiana Coastal Master Plan. The Data Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation and ongoing support of all data management activities at the Institute including database design, database administration, data management policies and procedures for the Center of Excellence. The Data Manager will work closely with the Institute Information Technology Specialist to ensure seamless delivery of hardware and software support for data development, use and access.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the position will depend upon the interests and aptitude of the successful applicant. These may include:
- Development and implementation support for end-to-end scientific data management and quality control policies and procedures including the development of database architecture, data standards, training and technology.
- Identify new technologies that may be applied to data management and visualization.
- Design of data reporting procedures and mechanisms for Institute researchers and partners ensuring consistency and interoperability of systems
- Troubleshoot and communicate technical information with non-technical system users.
- Ensure data quality and accuracy through the implementation of automated audit and data management practices.
The Institute seeks a professional with experience developing and administering data management systems. Qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in natural science, social science, computer science or engineering with strong scientific data management experience. Three to five years related experience is preferred
- Thorough understanding of database structures and data management processes.
- Experience interacting with relational databases (e.g., MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- Experience with GIS and Remote Sensing data/imagery including tools for web-based access
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated results-driven professional with sound judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, and the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment. Desirable skills include quantitative analysis and statistical skills, especially using R; understanding of common internet technologies such as Content Management Systems; experience with report visualization tools, and Strong communication skills, including the ability to write end-user documentation for use by a range of technical professionals. Postgraduate degree in relevant scientific domain will be viewed positively. The Institute expects to offer a competitive salary commensurate with a candidate’s skills and experience. This is a full time exempt position that may require overtime on an as needed basis.
How to Apply:
Interested persons should submit a brief letter describing research experience and interests, a resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Lyndsey Mitchell electronically at email@example.com or by mail to The Water Institute of the Gulf, 301 N. Main St., Suite 2000, Baton Rouge, LA 79825. Questions and clarifications on duties and qualifications can also be directed to Ms. Mitchell.